Crossing of the Dan

crossing-of-the-dan. . . a turning point in the American Revolution

See Calendar of Events posting for more information:

Saturday, February 13, 9 a.m.

Celebrate the 235th Anniversary of the Crossing of the Dan River

Chastain Theatre, The Prizery, and at site of Boyd’s Ferry (Riverside Exhibit Area)


Greetings and Presentation of Wreaths (Chastain Theatre, The Prizery)

    Local officials, representatives of local and other chapters of the Sons of the American Revolution

and Daughters of the American Revolution 

Recognition of the 6th Grade Essay Contest Winner

Speaker: Janet Uhlar

   Author, lecturer and screenplay writer

Topic: Freedom’s Cost: The Story of Nathaneal Greene

(For more information about the speaker, click on the “Visit” section of the website.)

Procession to the Crossing Site/Riverside Exhibit

   Weather permitting, guests may walk to the actual Boyd’s Ferry Crossing site where a dramatic re-enactment of the Crossing of the Dan by British and Colonial troops will complete the day’s activities. A replica of a ferry boat will transport troops across the river as muskets and cannons fire.

The permanent Crossing of the Dan exhibit, located on the 3rd-floor Banquet Hall of The Prizery, will

be open before and after the Saturday program.

For more information or for special needs, contact Anne Raab, Registrar, Berryman Green Chapter, NSDAR,

P. O. Box 515, Halifax, VA 24558, (434) 470-1350, email or 

Bernard Baker, SAR Chapter, . 

For other information, visit:                                               


The Crossing of the Dan in Halifax County

One of the most important events of the Revolutionary War

(In September 2015 the National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), elevated

the “The Crossing of the Dan” to an Historical Event of National Prominence.

See Calendar of Events posting for more information:

After the Battle of Saratoga, Horatio Gates was appointed Commander of the Southern Army, but was quickly defeated at the Battle of Camden in South Carolina by the British army under Lieutenant General Lord Charles Cornwallis.

To replace Gates, George Washington chose Nathanael Greene. When Greene arrived in Charlotte, NC, he found the remaining army in “wretched condition”, and realized he could not have a head-on battle with the British. He would split his army into two forces, use guerilla warfare tactics, attempt to draw the British away from their source of supplies, and wear them down.

Half of Greene’s army under the command of Daniel Morgan fought Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton, Commandant of the British Legion (nicknamed “the Green Dragoon”), at Cowpens, SC. Morgan then began a strategic retreat into North Carolina. British losses were staggering, with 90 percent of their number either killed, wounded, or captured. Learning of this loss, Lord Cornwallis swore to regain his prisoners “no matter what the cost”.

Totally enraged by the loss at Cowpens, Cornwallis and Tarleton began to chase the American army and their hundreds of British prisoners. Greene and Morgan maneuvered north with the British army trailing close behind. Greene’s strategy was to avoid battle and draw the British further away from their supply lines. The Americans headed northeast into North Carolina. In an effort to move faster, Lord Cornwallis, obsessed with catching the Americans, burned most of his army’s supply wagons and destroyed all the soldier’s daily rations of brandy.

General Greene stopped at Guilford Court House (Greensboro), N.C., to ask his officers whether it was best to end the retreat and confront the British there or to race on to the Dan. It was decided to go into Virginia to get additional recruits and supplies. In anticipation of the Dan River crossing, military engineer Colonel Thaddeus Kosciuszko was sent ahead to build earthworks (defenses), and Lt. Colonel Edward Carrington was dispatched to gather boats.

Greene again split his army, sending 700 men away from his main army as a decoy towards the upper fords (shallow places in a body of water where one can cross by walking) of the Dan River upstream from Dix’s Ferry (Danville). Meanwhile, the slower moving main army, with artillery and supply wagons, took the shorter route and crossed the swollen river on February 14, 1781, with boats at Irvin’s Ferry (near Turbeville) and Boyd’s Ferry (South Boston). As the last Americans finished crossing the river, the first British troops arrived. Without boats they were unable to cross. Greene had won the race to the Dan River.

Greene’s American army enjoyed a weeklong rest north of the Dan River at the Old Halifax Court House (Crystal Hill) as the commander plotted his next strategy. His troops reinforced and his provisions refreshed, Greene considered an attack against the British. With Cornwallis removed from his supply lines, and his men exhausted from their fruitless pursuit, the advantage was Greene’s. The weary British forces moved south to camp at Hillsborough, NC, while the reenergized Americans, eager for a fight, prepared to slip back across the Dan River.

During the next month the British moved back towards Guilford Court House, while suffering many ambushes and skirmishes with the Americans. The two armies finally met at the Battle of Guilford Court House where 1,900 British clashed with 4,400 Americans. Lasting only two-and-a-half hours, the British lost 532 men, while the Americans only lost 264.

Though Lord Cornwallis held the field at Guilford Court House, it was at great cost. From that battlefield, the British army maneuvered to Wilmington, North Carolina, to await fresh troops and supplies before turning north again into Virginia. The Americans returned to the Carolina interior where they fought to capture the British posts that remained.

The British general’s stubborn fixation on the destruction of Major General Nathanael Greene’s Southern Field Army at any cost was a total failure. Lord Cornwallis and Banastre Tarleton were responsible for the loss of 1,513 of their troops in a three and a half month period – 48% of his army!

Lord Charles Cornwallis would come to the rash decision in Wilmington to abandon the Carolinas and move into Virginia, seeking the decisive victory that would never come.

Article provided by Dan Shaw, Halifax County Historical Society

Share with your Canal and Batteau Friends!
    Posted in Crossing of the Dan | Leave a comment

    Scottsville’s Old Canal Warehouse – Meeting to be held January 30th regarding restoration.

    Scottsville, VA - Old Canal Warehouse, ca. 1925-1930S

    Scottsville, VA – Old Canal Warehouse, ca. 1925-1930

    “The Building Tells Us What To Do,” January 30th, 2016

    Presented by the Scottsville Museum and the Town of Scottsville’s Architectural Review Board. Admission is free! We hope to see you there!

    What’s happening at the Canal Warehouse? Join us on Saturday, January 30th, at 2 p.m. when Walter Neighbors and his crew will put on a demonstration of the techniques and tools they are using to restore this historic building in Scottsville. The program will be held at the old Dollar Store on Valley Street in Scottsville. Entitled “The Building Tells Us What To Do,” the presentation will discuss the processes of finding and working with traditional tools and materials. The program is sponsored by the Scottsville Museum and the Town of Scottsville’s Architectural Review Board.

    Restoring an old building presents many challenges. The Neighbors Construction Company has had to rediscover old methods of constrution and build its own tools. Among the processes on view will be assembling the copper gutter trough, restoring windows, fabricating a metal cutter and cutting a section of exterior crown molding, and removing loose mortar and pointing the brick walls with a special formula. Tools originally used to perform these jobs will be on display.

    Walter Neighbors has spent his career working in historic restoration in Richmond and the Washington, DC area. Back home now in Buckingham County, he has taken on the daunting project of restoring the Canal Warehouse, originally constructed around 1844. After the demise of the canal in 1880, the warehouse was used for many other purposes, including as an antique store, residential apartments, and storage. Older residents remember fondly the Saturday dances once held in its spacious interior. Fires, floods, decay, and neglect have taken their toll, but the more he studies the building, the more admiration he has for its original design and construction, says Mr. Neighbors.

    What will happen to this warehouse when its restoration is finished? Neighbors says he has no idea, but it is simply doing the best job he can to bring it back to life. Come and see what’s going on. Admission is free, and all are welcome!

    For more information, please call Evelyn Edson at 434-286-3466.


    This article was originally published on the Scottsville Museum’s Website. The VC&NS  is re-posting this information for our members since this is such an important historical building regarding canal history!

    Share with your Canal and Batteau Friends!
      Posted in Canal Building Restoration | Leave a comment

      VCNS 2015 Annual Meeting held at the Old Train Station in Petersburg

      The 2015 annual meeting of the Virginia Canals & Navigations Society was held at the old train station. The business meeting was held by outgoing President Brian Coffield. Gail Timberlake was elected the new President. Roger Nelson is the new Vice President. The revised Bylaws passed. The food was catered by Karen Murphy and was very good. The nights speaker talked about the Revolutionary war and the battle that occurred at the Appomattox River beside where the meeting took place.

      The 2015 conference ended well and on Sunday some attendees may tour Petersburg on their own if they wish.

      Share with your Canal and Batteau Friends!
        Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

        Ferndale Park by the Appomattox River – 2015 Annual Conference Weekend event:

        The Batteau “Fine Creek Mill” was parked by Ferndale Park beside the Appomattox River near Matoaca. The rain was getting stronger as the day went on, however, the Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) made the best of the situation. FOLAR had food vendors and many different river groups set up beside the pond behind the pavilion building. They even had a nice buggy with seats pulled by an ATV giving rides down the 1.5 mile towpath. The canal had a good amount of water in it. The bridge leading from the park across the canal to the tow-path was named after Nancy Trout! A musical group made up of men from the area played civil war style music which was very very nice!

        Share with your Canal and Batteau Friends!
          Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

          VCNS 2015 Annual Conference Kicks off at the Petersburg Train Station

          Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) presented a very nice slide show describing the many many awesome bridges, trails and parks they have been involved in. They have raised a lot of money from many donors and made many improvements to a bunch of locations along the river. VERY impressive!

          Saturday we will meet at Ferndale Park near Matoaca. The batteau “Fine Creek Mill” will be giving rides in the 1.5 mile section of the original canal beside the Appomattox River.

          Share with your Canal and Batteau Friends!
            Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment